Monday, August 4, 2014

Future Radio Projects?

Future Radio Projects?


Yes, I know that I need to finish the cabinet for the Philco 87. But, I bought three rough project radios at the Berryville hamfest on Sunday. These will probably wind up sitting around in the radio room or in the attic for one or more years. I bought the lot of three for $20, so I feel like I can't go wrong. But these are going to require a LOT of work:

A Philco 37-620 tombstone. Knobs are missing, the photofinish is toast, the escutcheon has rust and the paint has worn through. It looks better in the photo than it does in real life. Also, I looked up information on this radio and apparently it contains some tough-to-reach capacitors and a tar-sealed capacitor block.
An RCA T6-9 tombstone. Rough finish, peeling veneer, missing knobs, and dial that's wearing off some of the labels are the highlights of this one. I wish I could find new grille cloth in that wheat pattern. It's very cool.
The last radio has the most possibilities: an uncommon version of the Philco 38-15 tabletop. This is by far the cleanest radio; the biggest problem is, again, missing knobs. Why were people stealing the knobs? Was the latest owner using them on other radios or did someone have the biggest radio knob collection in his town?

2 comments:

  1. I have this model with knobs. Old tubes and no plug on cord. How much is it worth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody, sorry for the delay in responding. I just saw your comment today. Which radio? In their current conditions, they aren't worth much :)

    ReplyDelete