Saturday, May 16, 2015

Weekend Logs 5/17-5/18/15

I've been remiss in posting logs here, so I thought I'd give it a shot with a couple tonight. I spent most of today at a graduation (Congrats, K!), wrote a couple of entries for the Pirate Radio Annual while experiencing the all-thumbs Pirates of the diamond blow another game as it was pouring here. After it cleared, I ran the weedeater for an hour and checked the radio. I'm hearing:

Radio Cinco de Mayo: 6935U, 5/17, 0005-0021* Lots of  Spanish-language Mariachi music and IDs & e-mail address from a male announcer who might not be fluent in the language. HUGE signal. This could be a broadcast from Radio Diecisiete de Mayo. Announcement at at 0016 was overdriven and the audio clipped badly. Radio Cinco de Mayo was one of the entries that I wrote about an hour ago. I thought I was safe to write the entry, but not so. Great to hear again.

Ireland Radio International: 6299.5, 5/17, 0004+ Heard a tiny bit of audio and a decent carrier. I decided to record Radio Cinco de Mayo instead, with the hope that IRI will still be here after R5dM signs off. I really need to set up a good secondary antenna! Fortunately for me, my bet paid off and RII was still on the air when I tuned back at 0029. It's just barely there in heavy static crashes. Signal has improved here, but it's not as good as what other North Americans have been reporting. I've been comparing it back & forth with the signal on the Twente receiver and it's now getting to the point that I can copy a bit via my own radio without using Twente as a crutch. Right now playing Laurie Anderson "Oh Superman" which is so choppy that it sounds like something weird is going on with propagation (like really fast selective fading or maybe a utility on the frequency). No, it's just the song. Also heard music by Green Day & John Lennon. I didn't hear an address, nor have I found one online. Does anyone have contact info?

Radio Abu Dhabi: 6285, 5/17, 0115+ Much better signal that IRI here! Heard the end of an announcement, then part of a song. Dead air, then into what sounds like folk music with flute 

Went grocery shopping and filled the car up with gas. Came back & discovered that I missed Radio Free Whatever and Wolverine Radio. On the plus side, at least I heard Radio Cinco de Mayo, which typically only makes one broadcast per year and Ireland Radio International, which I've never heard or heard of. 

unid: 6965U, 5/17, 0320-0324* '60s music: "Incense & Peppermints" "Little Red Riding Hood" SSTV of what seems to be a husky or maybe a wolf. During the show, someone threw a carrier on the freq that was so strong, I had to look to see if the receiver had shut off.


Big Johnson Radio: 6935U, 5/17, 1946-1956* Decent signal here with the original version of "10-Inch Record" clear IDs with gmail address (so it was a new or revised show). Haven't heard this station in close to 20 years. Found a few instances of this one being on in '95 & '96. Not sure the last time it was on.

Northwoods Radio: 6935U, 5/17, *2312+ SSTV but the sync is totally messed up, then loons & "Freedom from the Great Lakes" ID. Excellent signal. "Proud Mary," Leningrad Cowboys "Vodka" (sounds like a good band for Radio Free Whatever) + "Fight for Your Right," "Gimme All Your Lovin'" Ha! Jack Pine Savage just said that this is the perfect band for DJ Dickweed. I'm guessing that it was just serendipity & not that JPS is reading my blog while the songs are playing :o)

The Crystal Ship: 6876, 5/18, 0140+ Excellent signal with a song that sounds like Tom Petty. Tuning away to check on Big Johnson Radio. Only caught the last two min of BJR, so I'm back here. More Tom Petty music & heard IDs that this is the TCS Tom Petty Buried Treasure special

Big Johnson Radio: 6950U, 5/18, 0143-0145* Good signal. "Big 10" Record again" YL computer voice: "Write to us at Big Johnson Radio at gmail dot com" Old interval signal, but I can't remember whose it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment