Saturday, October 20, 2018

Pirate Radio Annual e-mails

I've been sending out entries to stations for the latest Pirate Radio Annual (which only includes stations active in 2016 and 2017). There were just so many stations active in those two years that it took me hours to copy and paste the entry and a generic message into an e-mail and send it out over & over to each station.

I still have about 30 entries to finish, so if you operate a station that was active on shortwave in North America (or reported across a large area of this continent) and haven't received an e-mail from me, it will hopefully be arriving in the next week or two. And if you think your station will be in the book and you haven't checked your station's e-mail lately, you might want to check it because there are plenty of stations that I haven't yet heard from.

My tactic has been to try to send out really basic greetings to everyone and then follow up with personal e-mails to every operator who writes back. That's where I am right now. I've been receiving e-mails from station operators who let me know if anything is wrong with the entries, I've been fixing those entries as is necessary, and I've been writing back to everyone.

Although I do like writing about stations, this is one of the bright spots--hearing back from operators, reading about projects they're working on, maybe hearing about how their families are doing, etc. It's nice.

I think I have about 20 or so e-mails in from stations and I've written back to about half of those. Right now, I have a lot of work to do on the Mike Radio entry because I received the response back from the operator and he has made a lot of changes to the transmitters at the station since last time.

---------

I've been away from home most of this evening, but I did hear Radio Free Do Whatever (not Radio Free Whatever) with a Halloween program. Thanks for the long show!

2 comments:

  1. Just a suggestion. I know you're well known, but I bet some pirates you're trying to reach will be more likely to see this if you repost this to the HFU. Looking forward to the next book! Also, do you have older volumes still for sale? I only have the 2015-16 edition. Thanks! MDK2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MDK2, Thanks for the note! I try to get the word out about things that I think would be interesting to HFU members, but I don't want to load them up with self-promotion. So, here's where I post most of the info about the PRAs.

    I do have some of the old editions left--2013 and 2014 are sold out. I think I might have a copy or two of 2010, and 2011, 2012, and 2015-16 are still available. This newest edition is just taking me forever to write.

    ReplyDelete