Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fried R8

When I was envisioning writing this blog, I thought it would be a good idea to have several types of entries. One is loggings, which are semi-helpful, but are covered in more depth on HF Underground, Free Radio Cafe, and Free Radio Network. Number two is features, such as the bit on the War of the Worlds broadcasts. Three is odd bits, which I have some ideas for, but haven't done any yet. And last, I have some ideas for technical articles; my thought was that when I was running low on ideas, I could write about antique radios that I'm trying to restore.

This afternoon I had the Drake R-8 on 27700 kHz USB while I was mowing. I got called in from mowing because the radio was "buzzing really loud and I couldn't turn it down." Went inside and the R-8 seems to be hosed. Something evidently fried. I tried unplugging the radio and plugging it back in. Then it shut off, started back up, shut itself off again . . . and I unplugged it quick.

I guess I'll be checking in with Drake tech support to see what they have to say. I don't know if I'll have any tech updates to post about what to do if your R-8 fries, but it at least is more of a possibility now than a few hours ago when I had a working R-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment